Sunday, October 11, 2009

Receiving

Well, the cooking classes are a hit, and I'm thrilled! So much fun, and a wonderful group of people. We finished the evening by sitting at the dining room table and enjoying all the various dishes. On the way to the table, one of the students looked a bit uncomfortable. I asked her about it, and she said, "I'm not used to having someone cook for me. I'm not used to being served." I encouraged her to enjoy and receive. Later, her reaction got me thinking.


I introduced them to my philosophy of cooking, and one of the tenets is to cook for others as often as possible. For some women, cooking for others is a daily event, but typically day to day meals involve hurrying to get everyone fed before another school or community activity. We can still cook for others with short amounts of time but make it a meaningful experience for everyone. The best way I have found to elevate meal time is to pay attention to the details and cook consciously. Many times, preparing meals ahead of time, like on a weekend day, when the entire family can participate is a great way to get everyone together and have food for the week.

Again, my mom reminded me of her family's yearly ritual of canning tomatoes. 365 jars would be canned and shelved for use throughout the year. Tomatoes grown in the garden, free of pesticides and chemicals, grown in fertile soil. My great grandmother and my grandfather would do the canning with help from various other family members. They canned out of necessity, but when unexpected guests arrived or fresh tomatoes were unavailable, my grandmothers would go downstairs and get what they needed. They frequently shared what they had with others and the food they served was vibrant.

I am pleased to serve my guests, especially when I know they aren't typically the ones on the receiving end of things. Serving others is an honor, and what a grand way to do it than with a meal cooked with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment