Tuesday, August 25, 2009

All in a Day's Work

What I would consider a good day's work when I was in my twenties is no longer true for me now. My energy and willingness are nearly the same (of which I'm grateful), and I'm even more inspired these days then a decade or two ago. What has changed is my definition of work. I once had a friend say to me, "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you need to or have to." You see, I am a very capable person. Being capable is sometimes really boring. Somewhere in my childhood, my imagination and the right side of my brain decided to take a long life's nap.

My imagination was dormant for most of my adult years. About five years ago, I began seriously meditating. It was at this time that I started to feel my imagination muscles begin to flex. Periods of quiet and stillness seemed to be freeing the creative process within me. In fact, inspiration was coming at 3:00 o'clock in the morning, every night. I felt compelled to get up and write because if I didn't - the muse was gone.

Now, inspiration isn't always birthed through meditation. It's different for everyone. What I see now as a good day's work is anything from visualizing the cover of my book, its every detail, to actually sitting at the computer and writing a chapter. Of course, I try to write everyday, just a word or two, but sometimes that's not what wants to come. Sometimes it's okay to just hold a space for the work to birth itself. Then when I do sit to write, it flows with greater ease.

I understand now about creating a space for my imagination to roam freely, explore and have fun. That's what I'm doing now with this cookbook and all my projects. Here's to another good day's work.


www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment