Thursday, August 27, 2009

Companion

Do you find yourself daydreaming about what you'll do on your next day off? For me, I have my little "companions" that accompany me wherever I go - my writing projects. Since I see them as my companions, they aren't bothersome, annoying, or intrusive. In fact, I find their presence quite comforting. When time opens up, I will either write to keep the projects evolving or simply maintain that space of possibility around them. I visualize how each book will look once completed, or see myself signing them for eager buyers. Right now, I'm focused on the cookbook. What I realized long ago is that I don't really write the book - it writes itself through me. Big difference.

Many times, I refer to these projects as if they are people. But that's the point. How we are in relationships shows up in how we relate to our dreams, goals, and everyday adventures. The cookbook and the other writing projects on my list have a unique energy. I approach them as unique beings, and I find that in doing so, various aspects of my personality show up. I still find this amazing and am taken by surprise each time this happens.

For example, the writing of this cookbook is brining out the nurturer in me. I find that I'm cooking more than usual. Suddenly, I'm wanting to have dinner parties and host luncheons. I have also tuned into my nostalgic side, becoming interested in my family tree and wondering about life in 19th century Italy. When I was writing the yoga book, I found myself meditating more, becoming more introspective (if that's possible), and relishing my contemplative side.

My friends have always come in many different packages - some young, some old, all of varying spiritual beliefs, and of many races. And, I've been fortunate to have male friends (both gay and straight). Each friend provides me with the space to express my uniqueness. Some bring out the humor in me, others the reflective side. Some allow me the space to dance and sing, while others encourage my intellectual nature. The same is true for my book projects. They are my companions as well, helping me to birth my whole self, in a balanced and joyful way. They bring out a deeper humanity within me - their energy puts me in touch with a universal heart that is present for all of us.


www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment