Friday, August 28, 2009

Catching Fire

There's an off Broadway musical playing in New York city called Rock of Ages. This love story/musical, set to 1980's rock music, is full of outrageous humor and beautiful voices. Sitting in the third row, I felt as if I was part of the stage. It's an interactive musical - it's like being at a rock concert, so I felt transported back to 1985. (If you have any good memories from the eighties, you'll love this musical).

When the musical was ending, and the performers were singing "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, I had a rush of gratitude and inspiration well up inside me. The audience was on their feet, singing and clapping wildly. As I write this, I can take myself back to that moment of feeling the overwhelming joy and love these actors and actresses have for their art - it was palpable.

On the train, on the way home, I sat quietly thinking about what a gift those performers gave me, and everyone else in the theatre. There are good reasons we need each other - to see what is possible when the human spirit is engaged, to be inspired by another person's passion and joy, and to have the mundane human experience transformed into a spiritual one.

The enthusiasm I felt from the Rock of Ages performers created a spark inside me, and I caught fire. A creative fire that, ultimately, I am responsible for keeping lit. The creative process doesn't occur in a bubble. I am influenced by the entire human family's feelings and thoughts. One of my deepest desires - to be surrounded by people doing what they love, passionately & joyfully. This is a way to transform our lives and our world.

www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment