Sunday, August 30, 2009

Quirks

Going through dozens and dozens of family recipes can reveal the likes and dislikes of the women passing them on as well as their quirks. We ran across a recipe for Italian bread from my paternal grandmother. She had given it to my mom shortly after my parents were married. When my mom made the bread, it just didn't turn out right. My mom is an excellent cook, not above average, really excellent. After that, she never pursued bread making because she didn't think she had the knack.

Then one day she was talking to my aunt, and she mentioned that the bread she made using her mother's recipe didn't turn out. My aunt asked my mom for the ingredient list, and she knew what the problem was immediately. My grandmother left out a key ingredient, and my mom didn't realize it. According to my mom, she was notorious for either leaving out an ingredient or giving the wrong quantities of ingredients, just to be sure her bread, cookies, lasagna, pizza, etc., etc. was better than anyone elses. Once my mom included the secret ingredient, success!

We laughed about it and shook our heads as we rummaged through the box of family recipes. Ah, family. If you believe that everyone in your life acts like a mirror for your best and worst traits, then this was a great lesson about withholding - withholding information, love, affection, generosity, kindness, to name a few. I can think of time and time again when it would have been easy enough to extend myself in word or deed, and I chose not to. Interesting how a simple memory can lead to a moment of self-reflection and greater awareness.

http://www.healingpartnersllc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment