Friday, September 11, 2009

Airplanes, Food, and Other Stuff

Life is funny. When you least expect it, a new friend can show up in the most unexpected places. However, I have a history of connecting with people on planes that end up significantly changing my life. The first encounter occurred back in the '90s when coach customers still received a meal (for "free"). I ordered a "special" meal since I'm a vegetarian. The man sitting two sits away found this curious and a bit annoying that I should have a "special" meal that included an apple. We struck up a conversation, and he told me a little about where he lived. Shortly thereafter, I visited, and a year later, I moved to that place. (No, not with him). Needless to say, that meeting was very significant.

Well, just the other day, I was flying again, and without any notice, I have a new friend. The plane was full, and I nearly didn't make it on board since I fly standby, but I got the last seat. A might fine one at that - by the window. There was a man in the aisle seat, and no one between us. Then just as the door was getting ready to close, a lady came aboard carrying her pillow, and sure enough she was sitting between us. Before buckling her seatbelt, she grabbed my hand, told me she hadn't flown in twenty years, and was very anxious. Immediately, I had the feeling that she was honest and authentic. She proceeded to tell me about herself, her family, her friends. We then began talking about nutrition and food in general, and discovered we have a lot in common. We like to cook - she bakes, and I just like cooking, in general. We talked about individual ingredients and their health benefits. (I bought organic extra virgin coconut oil today!) I told her about the cookbook. She smiled. She said she always wanted to be Italian.

She bought an organic snack box, and she shared her goodies with me. The two hours flew by, and what could have been a nerve wrecking trip for her, was a most enjoyable adventure for both of us. I love talking about the cookbook. Cookbooks, in general, are so joyous. We all have some sort of relationship with food. We all need food to live (minus the saints and ascended masters), regardless of our likes and dislikes. Eating with someone else can provide a powerful foundation on which to build a relationship.

I would like to think that I would have always extended myself to someone like my new friend, and I hope that is true. Remembering the title of my blog, I remained open to listening and sharing with this unique being that suddenly graced my life. I often feel I'm navigating through a blurry sea of faces at an airport or need to curl up in my own little cacoon. As a result, I miss out on the opportunity of connecting with someone who could literally change my life. This trip proved, once again, that an open heart and mind take me beyond the boundaries of what I know, and move me to a place where infinite possibility exists. In that eternal place, what God can dream for me I can allow to come true.


www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment