Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Freedom

I especially appreciate a good book. The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin is my current read. A renowned world chef, his memoir touches me deeply. He speaks about respecting ingredients, and the power of food and a meal to bring family and friends together. Once he had lived in America for several years, he writes about feeling free to begin to create dishes that deviated from the traditional French dishes he was accustomed to making.

Reading his words got me thinking about all the immigrants that ventured to America, but most especially my ancestors. They did not leave Italy in search of an adventure. They left specifically for freedom - the freedom that expanded opportunity provides. While they had to work very hard and experienced prejudice, they also actively participated in a supportive community in the Italian neighborhoods of Chicago. They grew to love and cherish the spirit of freedom that is so very palpable in the United States. Their courage to cross an ocean is reflected in the millions of journeys taken, risking everything for freedom. I get that.

www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment