Thursday, September 3, 2009

Less is More

One of the perks of being an adult is that you can eat ice cream or cereal for dinner. No, I'm not advocating that, but we've all had those nights when cooking just isn't an option, and the frig holds nothing of interest. For my ancestors, cooking fulfilled a large part of their role as wife and mother. Sitting down to a homemade, nutritious meal was a given for my mom, and her extended family. (My great grandmother did work, briefly, at a mill, but the women there made fun of her Italian accent. She was trying to learn to speak English. She left that job).

Today, I eat a big lunch, and a very simple and light dinner - hummus and whole grain crackers, a piece of fruit is all I generally want. No one to worry that I'm not eating enough, and I know I'm getting enough protein and other nutrients - I monitor that closely.

The key is that I'm listening to my body, and honoring its messages. With time, I've been able to discern the foods that my body needs and does not need. I'm not talking about cravings, but instead, my body tells me which vitamins and minerals it needs by what I have a taste for, and I know the difference between a craving, and a real nutritional message from my body. I usually want vegetables of some kind and fruit. I've never felt better than I do at this time in my life, and this has been confirmed by the blood work ordered by my doctor).

I'm no longer afraid to fast or eat light at a meal. (In an Italian home, not eating or not eating enough is sacrilegious). There is a deeper trust between me, myself, and I, that is new for me. That has made all the difference.


www.healingpartnersllc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment